The Careables Latin America open event on February 5th 2020 in Olinda, a UNESCO World Heritage site, was a vibrant evening gathering.
The event opened with CASA CRIATURA (@casacriatura) collective – the event and Lab.i Olinda host – presenting their strategies for the restoration of heritage buildings while reinvigorating and strengthening the city we love through immaterial heritage. Later, a presentation about the Global Innovation Gathering – GIG, showed how the event related to different contexts around the globe. This was followed by GIG members explaining the Careables initiative, its international consortium, its methodologies and toolkits, its prototypes and its desired outcomes. At last, different perceptions about health and shared manufacturing and digital fabrication portraited what are Careables Latin America main objectives and expected results during the meetings to happen on the Fridays to come.
During the next session nine initiatives, organisations and startups from Olinda and Recife presented their work related to the central evening theme:
- Trama (@ateliertrama) creates small herbal pillows to help on different Aromatherapy treatments. They plan to use 3D printed ZipLock on their pads and to share online how to make the pillows. Also, they cooperate on a 3D printed Hydroponic project to grow herbs and small plants to use into the small cushions.
- Coletivo 3D (@coletivo3d) is a 3DPrinting bureau that sells printings, methodologies and 3D printers. With some experience on printing objects to support people with disabilities, they offer a wide range of activities, from teachings in public and private schools to open LGBTQ+ maker day, from maker labs creation to small and medium industries consulting.
- Lazzo Arquitetura is an architecture office with a focus on accessibility and green environments. Their main objective is to help to support a better living ecosystem.
- Grupo de Apoio à Criança Carente Com Cancer (Support Group for a Needy Child with Cancer) is an NGO supporting different stages on the life of a child diagnosed with cancer, from treatment to resocialization and family psychology therapy.
- Eficientes is a media agency supporting people with “different abilities.” Their activity range from a news agency to workshops and panel presentations and advocacy, and they aim to prepare the job market and people with disabilities one to the other.
- Tapioca ambitions a structuring role for the establishment of a Regional Centre of Excellence in Marine Sciences for the Tropical Atlantic at Recife, fulfilling gaps pointed out in educational evaluation on the theme. It is a partnership of different Universities and IRD-France. They have an interest in helping and support changes on the plastic cycle to avoid pollution in the oceans.
- SEBRAE is a national agency to support entrepreneurship and startups economy. It aims to strengthen the initiatives helping Careables to structure themselves as business models when desired.
- LabCOCO, together with Instituto Procomum, aims to propose different methodologies to makerspaces with more focus on real needs and care.
- Secretary of Innovation – Mayor of Olinda, presented different initiatives supported by their municipal policy for innovation.
This was followed by final talk by members from Secretary of Health of Olinda, presenting how they care for the Afro-Brazilian population in the city throughout 290 afro-orishas-based-religious-temples around the city. Also, they presented their main projects on caring for people with disabilities. And a particular effort on reducing cigarette smoking on both communities. The Health Secretary also pointed out opportunities to work together in some regular programs and the sure on having their personnel taking part in Careables meetings to come.
In the end, 40 people shared their mobile numbers to join a WhatsApp Group on Careables Olinda.
You can check more pictures and videos on the official Flickr page.
This report was originally published on Nuclino.